MA English is entitled by UGC to be offered in Online Mode
Department of Languages, Hindustan Institute of Technology and Science offers, Master of Arts in English. It is a two-year postgraduate programme that deals with the study of English Literature and Language. It equips the students with analytical and critical thinking skills to produce original insights in scholarly academic writing and discourse.
Programme Vision, Mission and Objectives
The Programme endeavors to ensure a profound level of critical and resourceful thinking about literature and the society thereby creating a vibrant and responsible learning community of high values with societal coordination.
We commit ourselves to provide every individual a beneficial environment appropriate to accomplish his/her career goals with a strong prominence on English language and literature as well as to offer resources to attain quality education.
- In concordance with the institutional objectives, to provide need based education in the discipline to large segments of population through Online mode with the objective to reach the unreached.
- To strive to promote equality and social justice and to reduce social and cultural differences through diffusion of education.
- To bring about critical emancipation among the learners through a rigorous exposure to the language and literature of the established traditions.
- To provide continuing education to the employed, home makers and also to the business people.
- To provide opportunities of higher learning to under privileged segments of the society so as to harness their unrealized potential.
- To facilitate establishment of a globally recognized Institution of Online fully equipped with Information and Communication Technology that empowers its beneficiaries to carry forward the mission of generating scholarship which meets the twin tests of academic excellence and social relevance.
- To continue to achieve and sustain excellence in all programmes and activities
Relevance of M.A. English in the modern world
During an English literature Masters degree programme, students scrutinize and debate a variety of texts, as well as acquiring knowledge of literary movements, periods and critical approaches that have shaped the way we view literature today.
Study of English literature at Masters level leads to developing comprehensive written and spoken communication skills, becoming adept at arguing a point, framing a narrative and analyzing various levels of meaning.
Having a Masters in English, besides knowledge seeking endeavors, also offers a wide scope in terms of employability.
Employment Opportunities & Scope for Higher Education
Innumerable career options are available for a candidate who has successfully completed the course in M.A. English
- Teaching--considering the general dearth of good teachers who can speak English fluently and write accurately, the candidate can easily find a teaching post in schools and colleges.
- Translator/ interpreter-- With a bilingual expertise one can become an interpreter in Research Institutes, Industrial Houses, Ministry of External Affairs, Embassies of foreign countries
- Media--the candidate can effectively contribute to fields of journalism, publishing, T.V. and radio, copywriting and Event Management.
- There are multifarious worlds where language is a means of Influencing. With training in persuasive expressions one can function successfully in the world of Advertisement, P.R., Marketing, Retail management and Sales
- In cases of switch of profession, like Law, H.R., Banking or insurance a candidate who has completed this course can be equally successful.
- English language and literature very often seek out Communication skills
According to the National Association of Colleges and Employers of U.S., "what sets two equally qualified job candidates apart can be as simple as who has the better communication skills." The knowledge acquired of how to put things into compelling narratives, will have a deep and long-lasting impact on career.
- The power of the imagination
A degree in English teaches an empathic understanding of human motivation, and an engagement with big-picture thinking that encourages entrepreneurial leadership.
- PG degree in English are focused on professional and technical writing. These courses prepare students for completing documents for business operations such as proposals, white papers, memos, contracts, instructions, and presentations.
- Leads to senior level technical writing positions, a role in which they're responsible for developing detailed instructions for electronics or business processes and working with the development of websites.
- Technical writers typically take on a wide range of projects as well, from writing product descriptions to designing documents like newsletters and brochures.
- In addition to senior level writing positions, a master’s degree is also often a requirement for executive level and management positions in writing departments in all types of industries and organizations. Positions that are likely to require a MA English include director communications, managing editor, editor-in-chief, and publisher.
Semester System is followed with the entire course covered in four semesters.
Detailed Course Structure – Semester wise
|Semester I (Credits 20)
|Foundation Course: Language through Literature
|British Literature Part I (from 16th to 18th Century)
|English Language: Its History, Structure & Phonetics
|Interpersonal Communication & Soft Skills
|Writing for Media
|Semester II (Credits 20)
|British Literature Part II (The19th Century)
|American Literature Part I (Up to 1940)
|Introduction to Linguistics
|Indian Writing in English
|Semester III (Credits 20)
|British Literature Part III (1900 onwards)
|American Literature Part II (Post 1940)
|Introduction to Cultural Studies
|Semester IV (Credits 20)
|Teaching English as a Second Language
|Theatre and Communication
|English for Specific Purpose
|Written Project and Viva-voce
Total Credits for MA English Programme – 80
Learners can earn additional Credits by taking courses offered by MOOC / Coursera
Anyone who is eligible may apply by filling in the application form, uploading required documents and paying the application fee of Rs.1102/-
| Program Details
||I Sem (Rs.)
||II Sem (Rs.)
||III Sem (Rs.)
||IV Sem (Rs.)
For Scholarships and concessions to Armed Forces, Police and front line health care professionals contact admissions office.
40, G.S.T Road, St. Thomas Mount,
Chennai - 600 016. India.
Ph. : +91-44-2234 1389
Mobile: 8668093955, 8056047466
Fee Structure for Foreign Nationals / NRIs[For Students from SAARC Countries]
Afganistan, Bangladesh, Bhutan, Maldives, Nepal, Pakistan and Srilanka.
| Program Details
||I Year (USD)
|| II Year (USD)
Fee Structure for Foreign Nationals / NRIs[For Students from NoN-SAARC Countries]
| Program Details
||I Year (USD)
||II Year (USD)
- Examination fee for the First attempt is already included in the course fee. For arrears exam Fee of Rs. 500/- to be paid for each course and for each attempt.
- For foreign nationals/ NRIs arrears exam Fee of USD 15 to be paid for each course and for each attempt